6th Grade Curriculum Maps
English Language Arts Reading / Writing
In 2012 Leslie Public Schools adopted Reading Street as our core reading curriculum in sixthgrade. Each unit in Reading Street focuses on a Big Idea that connects learning. Daily instruction continues to build strong foundational reading skills in phonemic awareness, alphabetic principles, fluency with text, vocabulary and comprehension. Students build knowledge that is deep and transferable each week as they explore one aspect of the unit concept. Throughout each unit, students are exposed to a story from various genres as well as a Paired Selection which strengthens understanding in either science or social studies.
- Unit 1 - What draws us to people and things around us and makes us care?
- Unit 2 - Why might things far away and long ago be important to us now?
- Unit 3 - How are the results of our efforts sometimes greater than we expect?
- Unit 4 - How have those who've gone first influenced those who've gone after?
- Unit 5 - What are resources and why are they important to us?
- Unit 6 - In what ways does one culture affect another?
School to Home Connection: www.pearsonsuccesnet.com
Ask your child's teacher for his/her username and password for access to Reading Street materials including text books, concept videos, activites, leveled readers and more!
Unit 1 Unit 2 Unit 3
Unit 4 Unit 5 Unit 6
Throughout the school-year, students will focus on gaining an understanding of Algebraic Reasoning; Integers and Rational Numbers; Patterns and Functions; Proportional Relationships; Percents; Collecting, Displaying and Analyzing Data; Geometric Figures; Measurement Tow; Three-Dimensional Figures; Probability; Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities; Dimensional Figures.